Akiq Abdul Wahid (born in Kediri, a small town in the middle of East Java province) lives and works in Yogyakarta. His long going projects investigate the tactics of everyday life with his surrounding, how human face realities through innovation and strategy that they created. His first exposed photo series, The Order of Things, was a story on how people lives on their own creativity and imagination; he took photos of “installation” made by common people.
Akiq AW exhibits his works individually or together with Mes 56’s members. His solo exhibition includes “The Order of Things” (2010) at Mes 56, Yogyakarta and “One Man Different God” (2011) at The Goods Dept, Jakarta. He had been shown in Jogja Biennale 13 in 2011 “Shadow Lines”. With Mes 56, he was part of the exhibition in CCP Melbourne (2013), Song Eun in Seoul, South Korea (2016). He exhibits his works in special focus in Art Dubai (2012), and in Amsterdam (2017). He participated in 38th EVA International Ireland’s Biennale 2018 and Dak’Art 2018, The Biennale of Contemporary African Art, Dakar, Senegal. He was Artistic Director for Archive Festival Exhibition organized by Indonesian Visual Art Archive (2017).
E: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
M: +62 817 468 462
- Satu Langkah Seribu Langkah, Ark Galerie, Yogyakarta
- Border V 2.0, Chan Contemporary, Darwin, NT, Australia
- Border, Watch This Space, Alice Springs, NT, Australia
- Lima Cerita Dari Rumah, Selasar Solo Project Series, Selasar Sunaryo Bandung
- To the Landscape and Beyond, Emmitan CA Gallery Surabaya
- One Man Different God, Art Dept-Good Department, Plaza Indonesia, Jakarta
- The Order of Things, Ruang MES 56 Yogyakarta
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Post-Repost-Share, Photo Bangkok 2019, BACC, Bangkok.
- Memory of the Unseen, A+ Works of Art, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Eva International, Ireland’s Biennial, Limerick City, Ireland
- Para Site’s Long Green Lizard at Dak’Art 2018, The Biennale of Contemporary African Art, Dakar, Senegal
- ‘Father, Mother, Daughter, Son.’ Canvas Contemporary, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Festival Arsip IVAA 2017 ‘Kuasa Ingatan’ sebagai Direktur Artistik Pameran Arsip dan Seni Berbasis Arsip
- Ruang MES 56 at UNSEEN CO-OP 2017, Amsterdam, Netherland.
- ‘FastForward’ An Exhibition with Video Works, Rumah Seni Cemeti, Yogyakarta.
- ‘Neglected Ordinary’ RedBase Foundation Yogyakarta
- ‘MES 56: Keren dan Beken’ Song Eun Art Space, Gangnam, Seoul, Korea Selatan
- ‘Universal Influence’ Artjog 9 Yogyakarta
- ‘Sapiens Free’ OHD Museum Magelang
- ‘Opposite Attract’ Duo Exhibition with Andy Dewantoro, Artotle Thamrin Jakarta.
- Preview of ‘Selamat Datang Project’ as a part of Dgallerie Booth at Bazaart Jakarta
- ‘Pause’ Photo Bangkok BACC, Bangkok, Thailand.
- ‘PURSUING THE FUTURE – BIENNALE JOGJA XIII’ Ruci Art Space jakarta
- ‘Full house’ Ruang MES 56 Yogyakarta
- ‘Bitter Sweet: An Exhibition About Humor’ Cemeti Art House, Yogyakarta
- ‘TYPES: After Bechers’, Singapore International Photo Festival, Singapore.
- Happy Feet, Cemeti Art House Yogyakarta
- ArtJog 14, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta.
- Lost and Found: Re-telling Silk Road in Indonesia, Space K, Gwacheon, Seoul, Korea.
- Resort; An Exhibition of Landscape of Rest, BACC Bangkok, Thailand
- Homoludens #4, Bentara Budaya Denpasar Bali
- Put Up Signal, Bus Projects, Melbourne Victoria, AU.
- ArtJog 13, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta.
- Faraway So Close, MES 56 Collective Exhibition, Semarang Gallery, Semarang
- Homoludens #3, Emmitan CA Gallery Surabaya
- Collective Ground: The Gallery in the Midst of Market and Discourse, May 2012, Gallery Rachel
- ‘Marker’ Art Dubai 2012, Dubai, UEA
- Commissioned Artist, Yogyakarta Biennale XI, Shadow Lines: Indonesia meets India.
- Young Artist Project 2011: Future Lab, Daegu Exco, Daegu Metropolitan City Korea
- Ruang MES 56: Contemporary Photography from Indonesia, Centre for Contemporary Photography Melbourne
- Art | Jog 11, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta.
- Indonesia Nowadays at Tokyo Month of Photography, Canon Gallery Tokyo
- Perfect World by Akiq AW and Agung Nugroho Widhi, dGallery Jakarta
- Angsana: Southeast Asian Photographers Taking Flight, 2902 Gallery, Singapore
Residency / Art Project
- The AsiaLink Art Residency in Alice Springs, April-June 2014, hosted by ArtBack NT.
- Router Art Project, Desember 2014 – Januari 2015, Rumah Seni Cemeti, Yogyakarta